I threw a dinner party for my mom and sis last month and this is the cake I made for them. I made 24 cupcakes and a 6 inch mini cake to go on the stand. The cupcakes were for the guests and the mini cake was for mommy and sissy poo. I was doing so many things for the get together so I didn't have enough time to whip up a cake from scratch but thanks to the store bought cake in a box,life was made simpler. Here is what I did.
- Line cupcake pan with gold cupcake liners
- Mix cake according to directions on box (I used a dark chocolate cake mix)
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake according to directions
- Remove cakes from oven and pop out of cupcake pan
- Place on baking rack to cool
- When cool use a small plastic knife to cone out the center of the cupcake. Keep cake pieces that were coned out
- Fill a pastry bag with Nutella or if you dont have a pastry bag like I did; roll off some plastic wrap, spoon Nutella in the center, bring corners of wrap together to form a bag-like case, pierce a small hole (the diameter of your pinky) and proceed to fill the centers of the cupcakes.
- Replace scooped out pieces of cake to center, pressing them lightly into the Nutella
- Spread ganache over top of cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts
LOOK AT BETTY CROCKER BOOK
6 inch cake:
- Mix half of another box of cakemix for the 6" pan (I halved all the ingredients required)
- Pour 3/4 ways up into 6" cake pan and bake until toothpick comes out of center clean
- Remove from oven, take out of pan and leave to cool
- Once fully cool, be very careful slice off the rounded top off the cake if any and proceed to cut the cake into two pieces for layering
- Spread Nutella inbetween layers of cake
- Frost with ganache
- Place unwrapped Ferrero Rocher chocolates on top of cake
Assemble cupcakes and cakes on cake stand as seen in picture , add some candles and sing Happy Birthday!
Click here to get instructions for DIY Cake Stand