I was inspired by all the latest hardware fashion trends and wanted to create my very own unique piece. At first I wanted to use giant safety pins but didn’t have any on hand and I didn’t want to buy any because as I was thinking about this project my mom called me and told me that she had a box of odd and ends for me and it contained pins, so instead I went to my local stationary store and picked up gold paperclips. I initially wanted to make some sort of top with them but figured the box of odds and ends would be better for that so I proceeded to make this simple (in instructions) but bold (in design) necklace. Here are the instructions. Hope you like! I will also put one in my etsy store in case you rather purchase than DIY!
Note: The way I make this necklace for my etsy shop is somewhat different to this tutorial. I seal the clips to prevent the strands from getting undone and also to avoid quick tarnishing of metal.
144 small gold paperclips
2 jumbo gold paper clips
Black Organdy Ribbon
1. Connect paper clips in strands. I started with a strand of 8 paper clips and lengthened every new strand by 2 until I reached a strand of 24. So I had nine separate strands of paper clips each one longer than the other by two paper clips. The lengths were 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22 and 24 paperclips (I hope this is clear).
2. String all the strands onto the jumbo paper clip in descending order(LONGEST STRING FIRST!!!! MY LAST PICTURE ACTUALLY SHOWS THE SHORTEST STRAND JUST TO MAKE THE PICTURE EASIER TO TAKE) using the first paper clip on each strand. When this is complete, do the same thing with the other jumbo paper clip, this time using the last paper clip on each strand.
3. Tie organdy ribbon onto ends of jumbo clips using the loop method pictured and viola, your necklace is ready to wear.
• Pair your necklace with a plain black T-shirt and jeans or a simple black/any color dress. Check out the way I wore it. I took pictures in a black tee so that you guys could see it better in the photos but I would actually wear this and throw on a boyfriend blazer.
- Black and white stripe top F21 and Black T-shirt top from F21
- Black Ruffle Back Booties GoJane
- Levi Skinny Jeans from Macy's (got it on sale in store)
- DIY Golden Paper Clip Necklace (available here at Krystle.com )
- Initial Charm Chain Panja( two in one ring and braclet) by Krystyle (will available to custom order at Krystyle.com soon)
I AM WORKING ON OTHER PROJECTS WITH THESE PAPER CLIPS AND WILL SHARE THEM ONCE COMPLETED :)